The Value of Professional Writing

Once I decided to advance my "passion for the written word" to the next level: from hobby to paid-professional status, it became difficult for customers with  whom I worked prior to making a living writing, to understand the value of my work as a profession and a business. They still wanted writing projects at deep discounts, if they could not receive my writing services pro bono.  They had total disregard for understanding that my business was not a charity.

That's when I decided to begin declining 'low-ball' projects where the customer wanted to name their price, and expected me to accept it for large, multi-page proposals, etc. Actually, it was an insult! These are the types of individuals I refuse to convert from customer to client.

If you've noticed, I've used the word "customer" up to this point, and this is my reasoning...I view a customer as someone who pays for services rendered, and it's a "done deal." A client is someone with whom I've developed a long-term business relationship. A client is someone who values my profession, and has selected me as their writing-services provider. They respect and agree to the rates I've set, pays in accordance to set terms, or they establish a retainer.

I used to believe individuals whom I considered 'takers' or 'blood suckers' were below the average socio-economic level, uneducated, without emotional intelligence, poise, or class. However, the opposite has been true in a few my experiences. By no means is this stereotyping. The operative word, here is "few."

The revelation hit me when I refused to provide these individuals services at no charge, or at a deep discount to meet their satisfaction, that's when they cut all ties with me. This was the "ah-ha moment" when I realized I had 'takers' and 'blood suckers,' trying to acquire something-for-nothing! It was such a relief when they went by the wayside.

As I've developed my business, and actually in every aspect of my life, I've learned not to settle for anything when I know in my heart, I deserve more, as my work and my passion speak volumes.

Comments

Popular Posts