Burnished Leathers


Unique, handcrafted leather bags, accessories, and "wearable art" for the well-heeled, which affords individuals the opportunity to "experience something different!"

                                                                                                   ><> 

Burnished Leathers began as what seemed to be absolute serendipity, although there was a God-inspired purpose behind its inception. It started as a result of advice I was given by my doctor to leave my job in “Corporate America,” which became very stressful. He advised me to find something I was passionate about, a passion for which I could earn a living. 

For years I would pay my cable bill at the cable retail outlet in my neighborhood. It was situated in a strip mall next door to a leather craft store. I would bypass the leather store, not giving any thought to going inside. Every month, same scenario: I would pay my bill, get in my car, and drive away. 

Things changed in March 2004, when I went to the cable retailer to pay my bill. It was different that day. Instead of walking toward my car after leaving the cable store, I inadvertently walked toward the leather establishment and entered. Upon entering, it was as if someone had taken control of my steps and steered me into the store. The smell of *leather consumed me. At that moment, I was enamored. Instantly, I fell in love with the leather shop! 

The store manager, who was also a master leather crafter (yes, she was the real deal), greeted me with her southwestern twang. She donned the full western attire, straight-legged jeans, gorgeous custom leather hand-tooled cowboy boots, and a huge smile. Her southern hospitality was very apparent. She was from Fort Worth Texas. And not only did she give me a tour of the leather outlet, she gave me a crash course in leather crafting. I was captivated!

During my visit, the manager encouraged me to sign-up for the monthly basic leather tooling class, which was going to be held in April. On the day of class, I was the first neophyte to arrive. I could hardly wait to get started! Upon taking the class, I went indie creating and designing leather pieces. 

My first piece was a small messenger bag. Then, I made a woman's shoulder bag with a hand-tooled design. As my confidence soared and my skill level increased, I began to dye my bags in various colors. I used all of the basic techniques I learned, and some things that were not taught in class. I just stepped “outside-the-box” and my creativity and imagination kicked into full-gear. Very early in life, I realized my passion for the arts, which began to manifest.

It seemed as though each morning that followed, upon awakening, unique ideas danced in my head that I could tool on the leather bags I proudly handmade. Handbags became my item of choice to craft. At that point, I knew the Lord had blessed me with the skill to create, sew bags by hand, and the vision for various designs and future projects. It was confirmation from my Lord and Savior that creating and designing leather handbags were what I was destined to do.

*The leather acquired for leather crafting are the remnants of animals which have gone to market. Animals are not sacrificed for the sole purpose of making leather items.

Disclaimer: Disclaimer: All leather is NOT created equal. Please be aware that imperfections in leather are what make it unique. However, these imperfections can be due to the age of the animal, bug bites, injuries, dyeing, scratches, stretching, drying of the leather and other unnamed variables outside of my control.

It is my intent to deliver unique, finely handcrafted leather items of quality for your enjoyment at fair market value.

Enjoy!

https://festivalnet.com/Burnished_Leathers


Comments

Popular Posts